1930's Bathroom

Our house was built in 1933.  



We've made considerable improvements to our home over the nine years we've lived here.  But one room in our house needs attention, and that's our one and only bathroom. So, our plan is to have it remodeled.


I think you'll agree it needs some attention. We don't have any ventilation in this bathroom, so I'm constantly fighting a never ending battle of mildew.  So that is an issue that will be addressed.


Instead of the white tile on the walls we want Shaker Wainscoting that will come up the wall about 56 inches high.  This is what Shaker wainscoting looks like...

The 39 Most Desirable Ideas for Wainscoating - Sebring Services
Source:  Sebring

I'm all about preservation and making things look as original as possible. So that will be my goal for this bathroom. The Art Deco period was popular from the 1920's through the late 30's.  You'd see a lot of mint green, pink, yellow, and the classic black and white.


File:1930s bathroom.jpg

Notice in this bathroom how square many of the shapes are, the tiles, the sink, and the nice balance of black and white.


1930s bathroom tile
Source:  The Historic District

To me this bathroom is perfection.  The color is perfect, the lines are perfection and the Art Deco details don't get any better.  


The round, wall-hung sink takes up minimal space in the small powder room.

Carolyn Bates/Old House Journal

It wasn't uncommon in a 1930's bathroom to see wall mount sinks instead of pedestals.
Bath faucets often had the cross handles either in chrome or porcelain.  

Hex tile was pretty common for the floors and often had little decorative motifs like flowers or even a Greek Key pattern.  Our current floor has the hex tile with a blue flower motif.  I thought about keeping the original floor, but the condition is lacking. Plus I really don’t want any blue.





Here are some of the elements that will go into our "New" bathroom...but I won’t show you everything. You’ll have to wait for the reveal!

White penny tile with black grout for the floors
Source:Home Depot

White Subway tile for the shower walls with black grout run in a brick pattern. We are also doing away with the tub and will just have a shower.
Nantucket 3" x 6" Ceramic Subway Tile in Gloss Ice White (Part number: CERTRAICE36B)
Source:  Wayfair

I want a lot of square shapes in my bathroom, a nod to the Art Deco Period.  I thought about a sink faucet with cross handles but decided against it when the reviews of the products that offered what I needed were less than stellar.  So I'm going with the Moen Boardwalk faucet.  The lever handles are in keeping with that period as well. I appreciate the quality and warranty Moen offers, and the square shapes won me over.
in Spot Resist Brushed Nickel Full Size
Source:  Moen

Initially I thought I would go with a pedestal sink, but my husband doesn’t particularly care for them. I decided a wall mount sink would blend in with the 1930’s look I was going for. So, I decided on Kohler’s Greenwich sink.

Greenwich Ceramic 21" Wall Mount Bathroom Sink with Overflow

Source:  Kohler

Stay tuned...

Comments

Popular Posts