Changing our dining room out of necessity

When we had our hardwood floors refinished on the main level of our home we had to empty everything out.  Everything.

Years ago we built our own dining room table and joked that if we ever moved the table would stay with the house because it was so heavy.



It cost us a mere $85 to build and we were pretty proud of ourselves.

So when it came time to move it we knew it would be a huge undertaking that would require dismantling it in some way.
Only we didn't count on how well we built it.  Seriously.  We built it so well that in our attempt to dismantle and move it it was ruined.
I was saddened terribly not because it was some fabulous piece but because it was something my husband and I made together.



Every morning we'd have coffee at that table and read the Bible together.  We'd play cards together there.  I'd even do projects there that required extra room.


It just broke my heart to see it damaged.
My husband said that we'd build another.  But it just wouldn't be the same.


So we decided not to build a new table.  Which left me looking for something in its stead.
I decided to go in a different direction and wanted to have a round table instead of the ever popular rectangle.  I also decided to have a table that sat four instead of six. I wanted the table to be understated and simple.


This table is from Birch Lane and is called  Whitmore.  The quality is awesome!


We paired it with a new round rug from Overstock.  It was under $100 for a 7 foot round. (Sorry, I got the last one in this color.)




I think it all came together with the existing pieces we had.


We are both really happy with how everything turned out!



After we had the floors refinished the dark hardwoods made the wall color look off so we repainted.  Silver Birch by Glidden but we had it mixed in Valspar.

I never gave any thought to refinishing our floors and going dark after having them painted white for so many years.  But I think they are beautiful.  It caused us to make some other unanticipated changes.

But sometimes change is good.



Comments

Popular Posts