Why I love Virginia

My husband and I had the blessing of spending another week in Bath County Virginia.  In May we were privileged to see the area for the first time, now we got to experience it in the Fall.



 There is something about the Allegheny Mountains that appeals not just to my sense of sight, but to my very being.


When I'm there I feel like I can learn to be a better cook, a better gardener, a better seamstress, a better wife, a better person.


I disconnect when I'm there from all the petty things in life that occupy my time when I'm home...the Internet, emails, Instagram, Facebook, television.


I love the simplicity of the farmhouses there. I think about the people that raised their families here and what their lives were like.


Virginia isn't just beautiful.  It's rich in history.

This beautiful farm was called Sunnyside.  The house was built in 1840.


If you lived at Sunnyside this would be your view...


We went to the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery in Lexington.

It began as a burial ground in 1789.  There are confederate veterans buried here.  It was one of the oldest cemeteries I've ever visited.


This tree had grown around the fence...



We went to 8 E. Washington St.  That's where you'll find Stonewall Jackson's home, built in 1800.


This is the Warwick mansion that was built in 1851.  Have you seen the movie Sommersby?  The house was used in the movie, a whole town set was built around it.


Virginia's oldest bridge, the Humpback bridge built in 1835.





Took me a few minutes to figure this out...


We saw so many beautiful things. 




Everyday was an adventure.






Looking forward to being able to return one day.

















Comments

Popular Posts