Going Tiny

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication~

Leonardo da Vinci 


Recently I moved into a tiny house, 394 square feet. I always was fascinated by tiny homes, but my move was more out of necessity than anything else. Tiny living isn't for everyone, but it was a perfect fit for me.  My tiny home was built in 1954 and sits on a slab on a city lot.


Fixed tiny homes are sometimes hard to come by, but the neighborhood I live in has many of these tiny homes.  I wanted a house with only one bedroom, and I didn't want a basement.  It is a lot different from the home I lived in for 11 years with my husband!


Our former house was a Tudor cottage that was built in 1933.  It had a lot of character and we had made it truly beautiful over the years. I remember the day we looked at it, I knew immediately it was home.  But now under different circumstances I felt the same feeling of home when I saw this tiny home. I knew though that it wouldn't be the same to decorate. I also knew that it was going to allow my love for minimalism to really shine through.

 The kitchen...





Despite its size, I have everything I need in my kitchen.  My counter and backsplash are all black granite.  I painted my kitchen cabinets First Snow by Behr, but I had it mixed in Valspar paint. The fridge was a splurge.  I love the retro look!


My bedroom contains the only closet in my whole house.  I made use of under the bed storage containers.  I had to downsize from a King to a Full-sized bed.



The majority of artwork in my home was painted by me over the years. My husband and I brought back that tobacco basket from North Carolina.  



I have a total of four windows in my house but enjoy a lot of natural light.  Off of my kitchen is a small drop leaf table for dining.  My sofa and ottoman all have built in storage. Furniture that serves a dual purpose are essential in a tiny house!













My three-piece bathroom comes just off my bedroom.  Because of its diminutive size I found it hard to photograph well.  I kept it simple with black and white.

Many people think about tiny living but aren't sure if they can really commit to the lifestyle.  For me it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Comments

Popular Posts