Sweat-Comings cabinet

A few years ago I got a call from a friend of mine saying that she had seen a small four drawer cabinet sitting on the curb that someone had thrown out. She was calling me because she thought I might like to have it. Despite the fact that a child had plastered stickers all over it, it had potential so I decided it was worth picking up.
When we tried to get it into the car, we realized the quality of the piece. It was extremely heavy for its size! I brought it home and sanded it down as best I could. At that time I was really into chalk paint, so I painted it cream. Then I decided that was kinda boring, so I painted it red. I enjoyed it for a long time that way, but how our taste change!
Now I’m more into natural looking wood, so I decided to strip the cabinet. I found a natural stripper with low VOC’s that cleans up with water. 

Look how nice it turned out...



Didn’t it turn out great?




After stripping and rinsing it down merely with water I let it dry really well and just waxed it.


It is Maple, made by the Sweat-Comings Company out of Richford Vermont. This company was in business from 1875-1980’s. The furniture was very high quality and people were willing to wait a year for a piece of furniture. Now these pieces are highly collectible. And to think, mine was just discarded by someone like a piece of trash! 


It has these great brass pulls that I left unpolished.



This is the makers badge, I know it’s hard to see but it has the mark of the Sweat-Coming company.



I’m really pleased with the way it turned out. I think in its natural state you can really appreciate the beauty and quality of this piece.


My mother in law pointed out how nicely it blends with the shade on the small lamp and the frame of my American houses picture.  Sometimes things just fall into place!





Comments

Popular Posts