Mid-Century Modern Barn Quilt

I have some friends that love Mid-Century Modern design.

I love it too, although I don't decorate in that style.

From time to time I would care for my friends pets when they were away on vacation.  Every time I would stand at their kitchen sink looking out the window to the backyard staring back at me was this sad little shed.  It so desperately needed something.




A barn quilt.  But not your typical barn quilt.  It had to have a Mid-Century Modern vibe.

By far my most detailed pattern yet.  I laid out the pattern after priming my 2 X 2 plywood square...



I had my doubts that I could pull this one off because of the detail.


I researched Mid-Century Modern color palettes and started with something like this...


I really wanted the pink, turquoise and yellow.  But the white was all wrong, as was the grey and the navy.  Plus I felt the pink too bright.  It just wasn't coming together as I had hoped so I went back and researched colors more closely.  I also thought about the fact that this could very well be hanging on their shed so maybe not getting too crazy with the color palette would be for the best.


I discarded the navy, white, pink and grey.  In its stead I added a burnt orange, taupe and dark mushroom along with a cream.

It started to all come together nicely and I began to feel like it was now cohesive.


I finished it by cleaning up all the edges, painting the corners of the board black and giving it coats of clear coat to protect it from the elements.




I think it turned out pretty great!


I ended up having to custom make two of the colors to get them just the shade I wanted.



The geometric pattern is awesome!  It looks like X's throughout the pattern.  I just couldn't be happier with it.  I'm proud of myself for sticking with it and not throwing in the towel when I felt like I couldn't get the colors just right.



I'm happy to say that my friends really liked my unsolicited gift!  Just by chance it matched some pillows on the their couch, so I must have gotten the colors right after all!  I was hoping to bring the Mid-Century Modern feel that they have going on inside their home to the outside.


Now when anyone stands looking out that kitchen window, this piece of Mid-Century Modern "art" will proudly be staring back at them!



The following pictures were taking by the homeowner and generously given to me to share!  (Thank you Lincoln!)





Comments

Popular Posts