Recovering an ottoman

In 2009 we bought this ottoman for our living room...


I really like it.  But it has started to show its age.  And let's face it, nothing is made to last these days.  Overall it still looked great, the majority of wear was to the top.


I looked at other ottomans, but didn't really care for the ones I found.  Plus they were pricey and I figured we'd have the same issue with wear.  So I decided to recover it.  Well, just the top...


I know you're probably shocked that I did stripes...


I was looking for a floral pattern.  But I really liked this one.  It is upholstery fabric and I got it on clearance for $5!


Because I'm bad about just jumping into a project and not documenting the steps along the way, I'll just basically tell you how I did this.

First I removed all the buttons.  Because there were divots where the buttons were removed I bought a shower curtain at the dollar store and folded it in two.  I cut it down to size and placed a small amount of Elmer's glue on the existing top, smoothing down the curtain onto the ottoman.  Then I cut my fabric to size and with my glue gun and Gorilla brand hot glue attached the fabric as closely to the original piping.  I pulled the fabric taut, working around the ottoman.  After the fabric was on I glued some beige piping as closely along the edge of original piping to cover the fabric.

The piping was the costliest of the project at $1.99 a yard!  But I had a 60% off coupon from JOANN Fabrics.  So, with the glue sticks, fabric and piping my total cost for the project was $16.


I might swap out my rug I have in my craft room with this one downstairs if I decide it's too much in the stripe department...

But I'm super happy with how it turned out.  It's always great to recycle something and give it new life!






Comments

Popular Posts