Recovering a chair

A long time ago a friend gave me a rocking chair that was in pretty poor shape.  In fact, when I went to pick it up she had it sitting outside and it had been there for some time. I refinished it.  And this is how it looks now...

 


I have been pleased with it for many years but decided it was time to be refreshed!
I had purchased some William Morris fabric for another project that I didn't use, so I decided it would be perfect for my chair.



I started with the back.  Initially this chair had no back and I had to make one for it. I used a thick cardboard.  I glue it onto the back of the chair.  Here's what the back looks like with the cardboard removed...


I easily removed it from the back of the chair but left the existing fabric on it just in case I wanted to revert back to the muslin.



I cut the new fabric and merely stapled it to the cardboard.


After the fabric was secured to the cardboard backing I used heavy-duty hot glue to attach it to the back of the chair.  I used some clamps to hold the glued area down so as not to burn my fingers.



Here's what the back of the chair looks like with the new fabric...


Here is a view of the front of the chair...


Then it was on to making a cover for the seat cushion.  I purchased a four inch cushion to replace the rather small existing cushion. I pinned the fabric onto the cushion inside out and then sewed the seams closed.



When the bottom cushion was finished I merely sewed up the back by hand.  The final touch was adding the soft black cording which I used hot glue to attach it to the front and back.


I think it turned out rather well.



Comments

Popular Posts