Mansard roof cottage

 I'm not what I would consider a Mansard roof kind of girl.  But I've had my eye on a sweet little Mansard roof cottage for a long time, and if ever there was a  "For Sale" sign in front of it I'd take all my persuasive powers to convince my husband that it would be in our best interests to call it our own.


Just a little background information about Mansard roofs...

It was a design popularized in the early 17th century by Francois Mansart.  Characterized by a four-sided gambrel-style hipped roof that has dormered windows in the lower half of the roof line.




It's also referred to as a French or Curb roof.  A Mansard roof often allowed for extra space in the attic.  In Europe houses in France were often taxed by the amount of floors in their homes, anything below the roof line.  So homes with Mansard roof were popular because it gave extra space above the roof line that couldn't be taxed.



During the Renaissance period it was an essential for French architecture.

This little Mansard roof cottage is surrounded by farmland here in the Midwest.

I think it's lovely.




Comments

Popular Posts