Painting in acrylics

I just finished painting this picture based on a painting I saw offered through Laurel Merchantile Company.


 This was the painting they offered through their site...

You can find it here:

https://www.laurelmercantile.com

It's lovely, the only problem was that it costs over $900! That's why I decided to paint my own version of it.

This is a rather large piece, 44 x 44. That size would be far too large for where I wanted to put it, so I opted for 24 x 24. I had all the colors of acrylic paint that I needed, so I just had to get a canvas.

I lightly sketched out the scene on the canvas and then got to painting. I used a little more blended colors because that’s just my preference. When it was finished I made a frame out of strips of lath.  I merely sanded the pieces of lath and applied some wax.  I've used lath for frames before and have stained it, but for this frame I wanted the wood natural.

I’m really happy with the results. Instead of $900, cost me just the price of the canvas.

We hung it in our stairwell.


I  love how it turned out.  I used the other painting as inspiration, but you can see that my version is more blended and the colors aren't exactly the same.  My shapes aren't as defined either.


So, if you really love a piece of art, but the price is out of your reach try your hand at making your own version!





Comments

Popular Posts