Driftless Area

The Driftless area is a region that covers southeastern Minnesota, southwestern Wisconsin, northeastern Iowa and the extreme northwest corner of Illinois.  This area has beautiful river valleys that somehow the glaciers missed, hence the name "driftless".


It's an area that my husband and I have visited a few times.  I've been to Vermont and this area reminds me of Vermont and has some similarities to Virginia.


The area is quite beautiful and popular with fisherman.  We saw many fisherman in the streams all along the back roads.


There are farms that dot the valleys.  Sadly last August they had a foot of rain in one night.  It was catastrophic with entire roads washing away.  When we were there recently we saw evidence of the damage that took its toll on the area.  The cabin we stayed at had to have a new road and driveway put in to access the property because the bridge was totally washed away.


One thing that I find fascinating about the area is the Amish people that call it home.  I respect their right not to take photos of them.  So in my memory lies the "photo" of the man plowing his field with four draft horses, the young girl in her bonnet and dress mowing the lawn with a reel mower.  Then there were two little boys helping their fathers mend a fence and the children playing on their farm.  Their simple homes are always painted white and are easy to spot with no power lines running to them.

One of my favorite things we did while in Viroqua Wisconsin was to visit an Amish bakery.  The bakery itself was so clean and orderly offering homemade pies, cookies, rolls, breads and maple syrup.

Everything about this peach pie was perfect.  It got a little smashed in the car.  Try as I may, I could never make a pie this pretty or this delicious!



There are places my husband and I visit that stay with us even after we leave.  The Driftless area is one of those places.
It is beautiful!  You feel like it's suspended in time and that it hasn't been discovered by the outside world.  You see perfect pictures that carve out a place in your mind that will never be forgotten.  And some have to live in your memory because they can't be captured anywhere else.


Comments

Popular Posts