Our master Bedroom


Have nothing in your house that has not given pleasure to the man who made it and is not a pleasure to those who use it.

Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.  


William Morris


Recently we decided that we needed a king-size bed.  To accommodate a bed of that size we thought it best to change our master bedroom to the one and only other bedroom in our house.

I wanted the focal point to be the barn wood wall.


When decorating and furnishing this room I knew I wanted to keep it simple.  I didn't want furniture that was new, but worn and timeless.



This had been my craft room.  The other room that was our bedroom will now serve as an extra bedroom.  We have our queen-sized bed in there with our furniture that we bought years ago from IKEA.  In here I wanted antiques and spent very little.


I got this sweet little side table for $20 at a local antique store.  Someone thought it would be a good idea to use glitter paint on the top and handles of the drawers.  I sanded off that paint and used some lemon oil to bring back the natural wood.  Now it shines!


I got this great three drawer chest for $80 off of Craigslist only a mile from where I live!  The lady had it in her family for over 30 years.  She said she used it as a changing table for her daughter when she was a baby.


It's in excellent condition.  Try buying this quality at a big box store!  The grey curtains are room darkening from IKEA.  They were a steal at $14.99 for the pair!  Not sure if I'll shorten them or not.  I kinda like them pooling on the floor.

When it came to art, I like it to be meaningful and sparse.  Better to have things that mean something to you and that you love than a lot of useless trendy stuff that you'll grow tired of.


This Art Guild sign is hand-painted.  I got it in exchange for some work I did for a lady that owned an antique store.  Interesting, this sign is painted over another!

The little bird house I bought from a man in Virginia that made the top of the house out of wood that was stained by tobacco.

The only other piece of art I have in this room is this photograph that my husband took of a tree in Minnesota...


Can you see the shape of the heart in the bark?  We didn't notice it until after we printed out the picture.  I love the movement of the bark!



We both feel that this space is warm and inviting.  Perhaps we did what we set out to do.








Comments

Popular Posts