Decorating with Salvage



I think I developed a love for all things old when I was around the age of 15.  It was then that I started working after school doing light housekeeping for an elderly gentleman in our neighborhood.  His home was filled with old things.  I grew to love him as a friend and worked for him long after I married.

Now, so many years later I still find myself getting excited about antiques and architectural salvage.  Recently a friend of mine was looking for a antique door, so we headed to my favorite place to look for salvaged goods.

When we got there I wasn't looking for anything special.  But something special found me...


Do you see that sweet little wood relief of a sunflower?  I'm not really sure what it is other than an architectural embellishment.  It came out of a house in Durand, Illinois that was torn down.  This one had already been stripped of most of its layers of paint.


(That dark spot you see is merely a shadow from a challenged photographer!)

The piece is hand carved...


In addition to it being really cool I got it because my husband loves sunflowers!

He took this picture years ago...


He's an awesome photographer.  Now I'll have something permanent that will always make me think of him!



Comments

Popular Posts