Haligus School House, Huntley, Illinois


In December I had the privilege of meeting Diane McGowen, who with her husband Ron took a school house from 1861 and transformed it back to its former glory.


But when I was there I had some technical difficulties and my pictures didn’t turn out.  Diane graciously invited me to come anytime and take more pictures, so I was elated when I was finally able to do so!
IMG_4828
Diane is so kind and I appreciate her inviting me into her gem of a school house.
IMG_4829
On September 20, 2014 the Haligus School house was designated a McHenry County landmark.
IMG_4831
Diane collects old school books and other memorabilia that you would commonly find in a school house.
IMG_4822
Beautiful desks.  Notice the original floor that they discovered under mounds of other flooring, lovingly restored.
IMG_4817
The gorgeous teachers desk that someone donated the her.
IMG_4818
Because the school house functions as a residence they have purposed various areas for a sleeping, as well as a kitchen.
IMG_4821
I love the kitchen area.  Not big, but functional and looks out over the pasture in the back.
IMG_4820
I love her light fixture in the kitchen.  She said it was a reproduction.
IMG_4819
They discovered the original signs from the school house.
IMG_4813
They are proudly displayed inside the house instead of being exposed to the elements outside.
IMG_4814
They are in amazing condition.
IMG_4816
Diane has lots of information about the school that she’s collected.
IMG_4811
I wish I could have spent more time with Diane that day.
IMG_4812
 Grady the dog was welcoming too!
Being able to see Diane’s school house again was a real treat for me.
IMG_4832
I thank Diane for her warm hospitality.
“It has been said that, at it’s best, preservation engages the past in a conversation with the present over a mutual concern for the future.”   
William Murtagh, first keeper of the National Register of Historic Places

Comments

Popular Posts