White Trim

To paint or not to paint?

That is the question when you have stained baseboards and trim.  I struggle with this because people always praise beautiful woodwork.  But what if that woodwork isn't so beautiful?



This is what my woodwork looks like, kinda an orangey brown.  Not so pretty.  But the crowning jewel is the glass door knob.


Not an easy picture to take, glass is hard to photograph, but pretty none the less.

So I decided white trim would be better, and not just white trim...
Why not stain the door with my Minwax Polyshades Espresso in a satin finish?  

Yep, that was a good call.
Here it is with just the door stained...

Much better than the orangey brown, right?  And look at my crowning jewel against the dark Espresso color...

Now for some white trim...

Looks good with the dark stained door.  Even though our floors are a lighter stain than the Espresso door, it still kinda works for me.  I must say I'm lovin the white trim.  I was scared at first to paint woodwork.  But a friend of mine told me that white trim is all the rage right now...who knew?  I may not be on the cutting edge of fashion, but maybe my instincts aren't too far off on this decorating thing.  Regardless of what's in I always try to do what I like whether it's popular or not.

Now for the boring details...
I asked at my home improvement store if I needed to prime before painting trim and they said it wasn't necessary.  They recommended Behr Premium Plus Hi-Gloss Enamel.  It can be used as an interior or exterior paint.  I bought Ultra Pure White.  It took a good two coats with some touch ups in places.  I would recommend this paint, I think the quality is excellent.
In regard to my wall color it is Province Blue Benjamin Moore in flat.  I like the look of flat paint.  I know most people like a little sheen, but I'm not one of those people.

So, to answer my question...To paint or not to paint?  I think to paint was a good call.  Unfortunately, I have a lot more to do.

Comments

Popular Posts